Monday, February 22, 2010

Pre-Kuna Yala

So, its only been about 3 days since I last had internet and, surprise surprise, I can already feel the withdrawl symptoms setting in... Its not necessarily that I cannot live without the internet, but I like to have the option. Its been very surreal not being able to just google something for an answer, or check facebook to talk to someone. This must be what it felt like growing up long ago in the seventies or something :p

Anyway, some updates since the last time that I was able to check in. I found my camera!!! This morning actually as I was packing for a four-five day trip to Kuna Yala, I happened to look into the front pocket of a bag and found it! Finally!! I have been dying to find it, so that I can capture my Panamanian adventure forever.

Anywho, as I alluded to above, we are heading off to Kuna Yala. This place is on the northern coast of Panama, and is home to an indigenous community which is a matriachical society (as it should be). This community exists largely on islands, as houses and businesses are jammed together covering every inch of land available. I hear that trees and plants are a rarity on these small chunks of land. The buildings go completely to the shore, and the only way on or off the island is by boat. Of course Ill be able to go more into detail after making this trip, but I`m really excited about the opportunity to interact with an indigenous people and witness their way of life. While visiting this community, we will be staying on our own private island. Thats right, white sandy beaches and palm trees... Ocean adjacent.... That will be us. We will be the only inhabitants of the small island we are staying on as we camp on the beach for 4 nights. While i fear what this means in terms of showering/using the facilities Im sure itll be a fun, character building experience.

Just in a more general sense, I have been having a blast at the research station. I feel like everyone is getting closer, and noone is really having any problems with anyone else. Im loving the weather, and Im even starting to get some color (thats right... its totally possible). Exciting/funny bit of news is that my laptop is working!! Now, you may be wondering why this is big news.... Well, funny story. I was returning from El Cope, the town near the La Mica research station, and we came to a river. There was no easy way across the river really, so I took my shoes off and crossed. After successfully making it to the other side, I proceeded to walk along the bank back toward camp. As I approached our swimming hole (yes, we have a swimming hole and it is glorious. Not only can we swim whenever we want, but it is also a prime showering location) my foot suddenly shot out from underneath me (unexpected hole) and I fell into the river carrying my laptop bag. As I fell underwater, I tried my hardest to keep my computer dry, but the entire bag submerged in the water. Fearing the worst, I headed back to camp and let my computer dry out a bit before giving it a shot. When I finally tried it out, it worked! Though it had a water mark for a few days, it finally dried out completely and now its fine! :)

Other quick blurbs before my limited internet access expires:
-I have been having intense TacoBell cravings lately
-I miss everyone
-I already worry about how much Ill miss Panama when I get home
-Everyone here has really grown on me, and I dont know what Ill do when I go home and have an entire room to myself (instead of sharing one with 22 other people)
-Im happy we have so much fun at the river, and succeeded in our ´team building´exercise of damming the stream
-Plant collecting has started and, while it is going to be SUPER difficult to identify them, I am excited to give it a try
-I really feel like Im lacking, as far as plant knowledge goes, but Im confident that Ill learn quickly

As we must now reboard the bus, bound for Panama City and then our private island, I bit you adieu. Until next time

No comments:

Post a Comment